Saturday, May 16, 2009

Snow In May


Today I spotted my first hummingbird at the feeder...and it is snowing. Spring in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). Here it is May and while the ground is clear (except for a few stubborn icebergs in the shadier spots) there are snowflakes in the air. So I'm going to take a moment to look back and remember what REAL snow was like this past winter. Hopefully, I can regain my weather perspective and find the courage to put on my gloves and jacket and go walk the poor dog.

Ah yes, I remember, over 65 inches by mid-December. At the top left you can see one of my neighbors scooping the snow in his front yard. Our snow is usually dry and light so instead of the strenuous shoveling I remember from the East Coast most people use this clever snowplow-type of devise to push the snow away. This photo was taken in December. If you look closely you can see that the 4-foot fence in the background is almost covered. (Alright, I am beginning to feel a little better. Afterall, the crocus are blooming now.)

And at the top right is a photo of our snow-covered hedge with Jack perched on top. The hedge is roughly 6-feet-tall and by the time this photo was taken in January it was completely covered with snow. Once the snow becomes compacted enough Jack just climbs right up on top and has a birds-eye view of the neighborhood. (We knew winter was coming to a close when he began falling through the hedge.)

Yes, I am definitely feeling better. As I write this the snow flurry has stopped and I can see the finches, sparrows, grosbeaks, and hummingbirds who now perch on that same now snowless hedge. Jack might get his walk afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment