Friday, March 19, 2010

Jack goes to school, actually

Jack and I had a recent opportunity to visit a local school and talk about writing and graphic design. The students and their teachers had read Jack's first adventure in Adventures In the U.P. and after the classroom presentation they came outside to meet Jack, schnoz to schnoz.

I am pleased to say he behaved extremely well and took his "celebrity" in stride--even going so far as to sit down and scratch at the center of a group of 4th and 5th graders. I usually try to avoid scratching in public, but clearly Jack is way more self-assured than I am.

Kids are his absolute favorite thing in the world (next to snow banks and tree limbs and our cat and bacon drippings...) so he was in his glory. Once we got back home, I'm afraid. his behavior slipped a bit.

I had my lunch sitting on the kitchen table when the phone rang (you know what happens next, right?). I went upstairs to take the call--forgetting to close the gate to the kitchen that keeps Jack out and my food in--and came back to find Jack snoozing on the couch and my plate licked clean. For Jack it was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment